This past weekend I went to Adelaide with one of my international friends. We stayed at the apartment of some friends I met in Brisbane our first week here. They weren’t there because they were traveling with family. Saturday morning at five we woke up and headed out to meet a bus down the road to take us to a ferry to tour Kangaroo Island. We got on the bus, instantly fell asleep, and woke up when the bus stopped in front of the ferry. After grabbing a coffee at the cafe, we boarded the ferry for the island. After almost an hour we got to Kangaroo Island. Once we were got off the boat we boarded another bus for our day tour. Our first stop was Seal Bay. Seal Bay is the home of the Australian Sea lion, which is either the only, or one of the only, sea lions with hip joints, so they walk more than flop like other sea lions. They were absolutely adorable! There were pups and adults, the adults were mainly sleeping but the pups were playing around, it was precious. We eventually had to leave Seal Bay and headed for lunch. After lunch we got to go to an Australian Birds of Prey show. It was done by Dave Irwin (yes, related to Steve, they were cousins) and his wife. We got to hold an owl and a kookaburra. It really fun and actually really interesting! After the show ended we got back on the bus and drove through Flinders Chase National Park. A lot of the park was re-growing because of a fire that went through a big portion of the park a few years ago. We drove through the park and reached the Remarkable Rocks. The Remarkable Rocks are a cluster of granite boulders that have been shaped by the weather. The wind and rain have changed the shape of the rocks over time, it was really fun to go around and see the different ones, we even got to walk under some of them and through them to the other side. I definitely suggest looking them up to see what they look like. When it was time to finish exploring the rocks we went to the Cape du Couedic Lighthouse. We weren’t able to go into the lighthouse but it was nice to see. Then we went to Admirals Arch. It is a natural arch made from the ocean carving it out over time. There were seals here, but they were New Zealand fur seals. They were playing around in the waves and having a great time. These seals were having as much fun as the sea lions we saw earlier. Finally we made our last stop to the visitors center and then a kangaroo sanctuary. I have seen tons of kangaroos since I’ve been here, but these were definitely the biggest ones I have seen yet. There was even a joey that they found all alone, he was found trying to crawl into a male kangaroo’s pouch (which doesn’t even exist) so the people who run the park took him into their care and are nursing him back to health until he’s old enough to be on his own. We stopped in town for dinner and then headed back for the ferry. The ride back to Adelaide from Kangaroo Island was not as pleasant as the ride there. I have never been on a boat that rough, and I was most definitely regretting my fish and chips dinner about five minutes in. We finally made it back to Adelaide, dinner intact, and got back on a bus for the city.
Sunday was rainy so we were limited with what we could do, so we did the reasonable thing and shopped (more looked than shopped). After spending the day looking around we headed for the airport. By the time we finally got to Melbourne we were exhausted.
This week I have had tons of work and assignments but luckily I am done and get to have another fun weekend this weekend, I’m going home with a friend on the floor tomorrow. Can’t wait to tell you all about it!
Love you and miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment