Sunday, April 17, 2011

lovely echoes


I have so many new things to tell you all!  Last weekend two friends from my first week in Brisbane came to stay with me in Melbourne during part of their semester break.  We had a great time going around the city and seeing different things.  Saturday I took them to St. Kilda so they could see the beach, it was very windy and a little cool but it was still a great time.  Of course we had to go to a bakery and all got meat pies before heading back to the city.  In the city we explored some more and I showed them a few cool places in Melbourne.  We ended up in a wonderful place called the Pancake Parlour.  Pancakes are one of my favorites and this place beats IHOP any day.  The menu was filled with pancakes, you could get sweet or savory, we all got sweet.  Mine was a wonderful combination (that I’m sure Emily will try to replicate) of strawberry rhubarb.  It was delicious and I ate every bit.  The next day I went to my first Australian Rules Football game with my friends and it was definitely an experience!   We had amazing seats about five rows from the field so we got to see everything up close.  The players were so quick and tough, the game was nonstop from the beginning and was exciting the whole way through.  The team we were cheering for, the Essendon Bombers, beat the opposing team, the St. Kilda Saints, 136-84.   It was such a great time and I can’t wait to go again!

This weekend was another amazing adventure.  I went to the Grampain Mountains along with four other friends.  The Mountains are about three and a half hours away from La Trobe so after class Friday we headed out for the weekend.  We got to our hostel in Halls Gap Friday evening and got ready for the next day.  Saturday we went to an information center to find where to go.  Victoria had terrible flooding in January so sadly many of the trails were still closed but we still had some good ones to choose from.  After finding out where to go we hopped in the car to go to our first trail about forty minutes away.  We got a little turned around but eventually found our way there.  The first trail we hiked was called Hollow Mountain.  The mountains were unlike any I have ever seen before.  The texture and shape was so unique and beautiful, you all have to look up pictures of them!  We had a bit of a funny experience on this hike, which was actually terrifying when it happened.  My friends and I saw a perfect picture opportunity so we headed to a little cliff type thing and I asked a nice little girl to take our picture.  Once I made my way back to my friends for the picture we looked down and the little girl was nowhere to be seen.  We were quite stuck and I couldn’t very well run down the mountain after her so we started calling down to people asking if they saw a little girl with a red camera…they didn’t.  Finally she appeared after her sister or someone called to her (I think she thought I told her she could have my camera) and took our picture.  Then she handed it to her brother for him to take our picture.  It was quite the photo shoot, and I was terrified that my camera was going to get dropped down the mountain by these kids.  But don’t fret, I have my camera and many pictures my mother will be appalled at because I’m certain I was too close to the edge for her comfort.  (Fun fact mom, there were no handrails anywhere on any of the hikes, and as one of my friends pointed out “You could just fall and keep going, there’s nothing to stop you)  After Hollow Mountain we headed to Briggs Bluff.  This one was a lot longer and significantly harder than our first hike, but definitely worth it!  The views were spectacular from this hike, you could see for miles (or kilometers).  Half way up this hike we were drained and taking a little break.  We ran into the most pleasant family and asked how much further.  They told us the plateau was only thirty minutes away (none of us were aware there even was a plateau) and the bluff was twenty minutes away from the plateau, but they had heard that it was blocked off so they turned around after the plateau.  After that helpful information one of the young daughters chimed in that when we were at the plateau we could (now imagine this in a sweet little Australian accent) “Make some lovely echoes”.  Once we knew we could make lovely echoes we were energetic and ready to go.  We hiked for at least another hour, didn’t see any plateaus, didn’t make any echoes, and definitely made it to some sort of bluff.  But like I said the view was breathtaking from this hike and well worth the time and aching muscles.  After our hikes we were exhausted and sore, but felt very accomplished.  We headed back into Halls Gap and then made our way back to our hostel.  After resting and cleaning up we went back into town to find some dinner.  We found a nice little café for dinner and stayed there talking (and avoiding standing up because our legs hurt so bad) for a few hours.  We finally found our way back to the hostel and stayed there for the night.  We played games and talked for a long time then finally fell asleep.  Sunday morning we woke up early, checked out, and headed out for one more hike.  This one was a combination hike of Clematis Falls and Chatauqua Peak.  Once again, the view from the top of the mountain was breath taking.  Finally we trekked down the mountain and headed into Halls Gap once more.  We stopped at a highly recommended ice cream shop (definitely worth it), then headed back home.   

Next week starts Easter break here and I am headed to New Zealand!  My internet access will probably be limited but I will most definitely be writing afterwards about all I saw.
Today marks the halfway point of my time in Australia.  It doesn’t feel like this much time has passed and it is going by far too quickly!  But I know I have so much to look forward to in these next few months (mainly my family coming to visit!) and they are going to go by even faster than these first few.

I miss you and love you all.  I hope each of you is wonderful and I can’t wait to talk to you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment