Sunday, March 13, 2011

beach time in march


Last week was my first full week of class.  The first week I only had two days of classes but this week started full force!  My weeks are very full now!  Last weekend I went to St. Kilda Beach along with a few other friends.  St. Kilda is just south of Melbourne and it was very neat to visit.  When we got there we found a market and shopped around a bit.  Afterward we walked around St. Kilda, there is a little amusement park there called Luna Park that was fun to look around.  We decided to grab lunch at a little bakery, I had my first meat pie there (I’m told it’s a staple of Australia) and it was actually really good!  Then we found a gelato place that was so delicious!  I had a combination of raspberry, passion fruit, and red bull gelato.  Finally we made it to the beach!  The water was really cold but the weather was wonderful.  Later in the day we went on a walk down the pier at St. Kilda and saw a penguin!  He was hiding under some rocks along the boardwalk, we were told that he had just molted his feathers and couldn’t get in the water yet so he was hiding under the rocks.  He was so cute!  Finally we packed up our things on the beach, grabbed some fish and chips in town, and then took the train back to campus.

A week of school was no fun after a day at the beach.  The class set up is very different than what I’m used to at Alabama.  There are lectures but during the week the class gets split up for more hands on problem solving that relates to the week’s lectures.  It will definitely take some getting used to but it is fun to learn in a different way. 

This weekend I went to the beach again!  This time my friends and I went to Brighton Beach, but before we left my friend and I tried Vegemite.  We decided we've been in Australia for a month and it was time we tried the well known delicacy.  We had heard that the best way to eat it was to put lots of butter on toast and then spread just a little bit on top.  I put two big packets of butter on my toast and just a pinch of Vegemite...I didn't get through half the piece of toast.  Not my food, but at least I got my Vitamin B for the day.  After our unique breakfast we headed for the city to get to Brighton.  Brighton is a few minutes away from St. Kilda but very different.  It has a much more laid back atmosphere than St. Kilda, there were these fun colorful huts along the beach that people use to store kayaks or beach toys.  Each hut is painted a different color, some even have paintings on them.  The water was warmer this weekend but not warm enough to spend all day in it!  After another full day at the beach we made our way back to the city.  We got off the train at Melbourne Central and went off in search for some good food!  We stopped at a Chinese restaurant and had a very nice, cheap dinner and then went back to Melbourne Central.  Melbourne Central wasn’t just a train station but more like a grocery store and mall with a train running underneath.  On our way out of the station we saw a crepe restaurant and had to go back and try it!  I had a crepe filled with mangoes, ice cream, and whipped cream.  It was incredibly messy but delicious!  We went across the street to the Victoria State Library and sat on the lawn and ate our dessert!  Finally we made our way back to get ready for another long week at school!

I hope everyone is wonderful and I love you all!  I can’t wait to see you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment