I have finished my first week in Australia and it was quite the experience! I stayed in Brisbane, Australia for the week in a hostel where I roomed with five other girls…and five months worth of luggage each. It was definitely crammed in the room but still loads of fun. Our first day there they had a barbeque to welcome us there for lunch and then we had dinner after we checked into our rooms at a local restaurant.
The following day we went to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, it was a dream come true. We got to feed kangaroos, hold koalas, and see all sorts of interesting animals. The amazing thing is that hardly any of this sanctuary was closed in like a zoo. There was one bird that had to be caged in because it was a little aggressive, the dingoes, Tasmanian devils, and a few other animals were in habitats but the koalas were able to move about freely and we got to go into the kangaroo portion with many kangaroos (and a few emus) just hopping about all around us. Once we finished with the sanctuary we went to a place called Riverlife along the Brisbane River. Here we had an informational meeting about what to expect while in Australia. Then Aboriginals came to the Riverlife location and did a presentation for us during which they did a few dances and explained some of their history and what life is like for them now. Afterwards I went biking through Brisbane with the Riverlife group. It was incredibly beautiful; there are gardens and paths everywhere for pedestrians and bicyclists. This is a very active country.
The next day was a free day. I went to Surfer’s Paradise along with two other girls I met during the week. It was a very cloudy day but fun none the less. It was this free day that I had my first bad experience with Australia. For lunch we went to a café along the road recommended by some shop owners. They recommended the BLT, I should’ve listened. They had a ten dollar menu for lunch so I decided I’d be a savvy shopper and order off of that menu. I ordered a dish called bangers and mash. To my understanding this would be sausage and mashed potatoes. When they brought out the meal my first indication should’ve been that it was all stacked together. My family knows how I feel about stacked food. After I separated them I started eating. Partly out of pure hunger, partly out of not wanting to be rude and leaving everything on my plate I ate all of the “sausage” and most of the mashed potatoes. It was not like how mom cooks it to say the least, but it was an experience and I learned from it. I’m not a picky eater but that was just not what I was expecting. We stayed there for the rest of the afternoon and due to our unfortunate lunch experience we went to a very familiar restaurant, a pizza place. It was simple, and it was a nice change. The two girls I was with had another semi unfortunate happening at dinner. They really wanted chocolate milkshakes, so they ordered two. The waitress came out with just that: two chocolate milks, shaken. We now know to order thick shakes when we want what we know as a milk shake. During this trip the three of us each made three goals for our time in Australia, and I think it is only fair that you all know what they are.
Elizabeth’s goals for Aussie:
1. Order an entrée with full knowledge (don’t be dumb)
2. Make an Australian mate
3. Get a good tan.
Right now number one is the most important thing on that list.
Wednesday, was a community day. For the majority of the day we pulled weeds, dodged massive spiders, and got to know one another a little better. The weeds we were pulling were all mainly weeds that were not native to Australia or that particular area of Australia.
Thursday was an amazing day. We went on a Rainforest Eco Tour. There were about five trails that we went on through the rainforest. It was so interesting to see all the different plants and trees. This is such an interesting country in the plant and animal life and it really became apparent during these hikes. While walking the guide pointed up to a tree and told us to look at the leaves, they looked just like plain round green leaves to me. However these leaves, if you touch them, give you terrible trouble. They are covered in a glass like substance that embeds in your skin. She explained that you will be in excruciating pain for three days but will be feeling it for at least a month afterwards (and trust me, they do not exaggerate). There is no cure for the pain; just a lotion and two types of plants that can help soothe the pain. However, one of the plants, if eaten, is poisonous so be careful! There were also these trees throughout the rainforest that were covered in what originally appeared to be vines. The guide informed us that it was a tree within a tree. There is a fruit that the birds eat, then help spread around. Because of this the new tree from the fruit starts at the top and works its way down. What we thought were vines were really the roots of another tree. Eventually the roots become so thick they constrict the tree it grows on and that tree will eventually decompose. Many years later all that is left is the second tree, but what you mainly see when walking by is the root system of the tree which you can now see through. It was very incredible. After the trails we went on a Skywalk which was a suspended side walk structure up among the trees. There were so many interesting butterflies and even more interesting plants. The guide told us another interesting story about the plants here as well. She pointed out a vine to us and told us that this particular type of vine is the only type of vine that an endangered butterfly can lay its eggs on (sorry I’ve forgotten all the names of the plants to tell you!). The problem is that this type of vine is becoming rare, the second problem is that another vine was introduced that looks similar to the original vine and it confuses the butterflies and they lay their eggs on it, the third problem is that this second vine is poisonous to the butterflies, and the fourth problem is that the caterpillars are cannibalistic so IF the butterfly lays its eggs on the right vine only a few caterpillars will survive. The little girl inside who watched Animal Planet all the time was very excited about all that happened on Thursday.
Apart from everything I learned during the nature walk I learned a lot about the Australian culture this week. The title of this post “no worries” is a very common saying here. When you say “thank you” you get a “no worries, mate” or something of the sort. As the week went on I think we all realized that this is not just a saying but a way of life for this culture. Brisbane was under water just a few weeks ago due to massive flooding. When we arrived the only sign of the flooding was the murky river water. Later during the week one of the guides explained why, he said that after the flooding, when it was safe to come out of hiding there were a few posts throughout the city that every one congregated at. This was not a volunteer program, not an extra credit assignment, just a city coming together to clean up. And that they did. No one was upset when the flooding was brought up; they just shrugged it off with their odd since of humor. I just found it fascinating that something that was so devastating was over and done with just a few weeks later and that was that. They just don’t take things to seriously, they simply enjoy each day, which I guess you have to do when you’re living among such deadly plants and animals! The days aren’t rushed and there really is a sense that there are no worries or problems that can’t be solved with some hard work and humor.
Finally on Friday we left Brisbane and went to our schools. I am now sitting in my dorm room writing this incredibly long post. I arrived in Melbourne with fourteen other AustraLearn students. We got to LaTrobe around three and were finally able to unpack and spread out a bit. This evening the floor leaders cooked some sausage (this time it was good!) and we had them on buttered bread, onions, and tomato sauce (ketchup). Afterwards we watched an Australian Rules Football game, very different than what I’m used to watching but very interesting and fast paced.
Hopefully from now on I’ll be able to post more frequently. This Sunday I am going on a Great Ocean Road tour until Tuesday. We’ll be traveling along the coast where we will no doubt see some more amazing sites. I will also be having a surfing lesson during this time so get ready for some pictures!
I love you and miss you all!
Wow! It sounds like you've had the most amazing time already! Except for the stacked food...all sounds wonderful! :) I love this blog! Can't wait to keep hearing about all the super cool things that you're doing. We're all jealous! We miss you tons at Campus Life, but we're so glad you get to be there having this once in a lifetime experience! Keep the post coming!
ReplyDeleteFirst off! Sounds so amazing! Especially considering that only interesting thing back here in the states is that it snowed .....again ha. I'm glad that you are having the time of your life and getting to experience these things first hand. Cant wait to hear about what's to come next!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, the funniest thing happened to me today while standing in line for avett brother tickets at the ferg! The girl in front of me started chatting with me and it turns out she is a grad student here in speech pathology I think and we got to talking about you and how your in Australia and she was super jealous because she has been looking into doing something like that with the grad program.....so I gave her your name and she is very interested in chatting with you ha so be expecting a random email soon haha. Love and miss you! Stay safe!